The Jones Zone

2.23.2005

Phillypino Weekend

So my mom and I went to my aunt's house in Philly for the long weekend to chill with a bunch of family-my aunt, uncle, counsins, 2 of my sisters and one of my brothers-in-law aka General Dughyut WARNING: do not click on his name, especially if you are at work, for it will bring you to "PersianKittys." Again, I apologize in advance for my moronic brother-in-law who has a hammer for a head.

Getting back to the story, I b(r)ought 2 jugs of fantabulous libations from Rock Bottom Brewery, a seasonal 386 double IPA, for everyone to enjoy. My brother-in-law, who works for ESPN (he supposedly works in the "Business Development" department, which most likely means he's an assistant manager at the ESPNZone in New York) AND is well known in our family for "pinching pennys" or, more simply put, "having a wad which is very very tightly wound," brought ESPN hats for all of us. Notice that I say "brought" instead of "b(r)ought" because though he claims he bought the hats, just like he claims he works for the ESPN Biz. Dev. Dept., I have a feeling he got them for free...or stole them from the ESPNZone store after hours.

Anyway, the weekend can be summed up in 4 words: food, drink, movies, games.

NOTABLES

Food:
1. My aunt's cherry cheesecake
2. My brother-in-law's cappucino carmel brownies (his only redeeming quality is his ability to bake fantastic desserts, which happens to be the only reason we eventually accepted his ass into the family).

Drink:
1. Rock Bottom double IPA
2. My favorite American macrobrew, Yuengling

Movies:
~Quick Rating System: Movie Theater Worthy (MW), Rental Worthy (RW), and DVD Worth Owning (DW)~
1. Battle Royale (MW, RW, DW)
2. West Side Story (seen it before but also MW, RW, DW)
3. Napoleon Dynamite (Awesome...Sweet...Incredible RW, DW and review coming soon!)
4. Ju On (the Japanese original of the Grudge...un"rate"able b/c it's a little too confusing, even with the English subtitles)

Games:
1. Scrabble-I averaged a Scrabble every 4 games and won 2 out of 4 times I played...Webster has nothing on this Spelling G
2. Poker-Got romped by my cousin and my bro-in-law in NL hold'em cash game (I blame my loss to playing under the influence), Finished 3rd out of 5 in a NL holdem minitournament (props to my cousin, Marisa, for winning it all), and my bro-in-law and i got murdered in a NL holdem play money game by my sister who I just taught to play poker for the first time that weekend (I blame this on sheer beginner's luck)...maybe I shouldn't quit my day job, rather maybe I should get a day job.
3. Mah Jong-my sisters and i got our asses served to us by my aunt who plays in a weekly mah jong game with her friends

Overall, I'd have to rate this weekend: aite.

1 Comments:

  • Congratulations on your Scrabble abilities. I bet the ladies love that. You're out at the bar and they're like, "How many words can you make out of these letters?" Very Josephson-like, dude. And with that, I burn both of you point-dexters in one try. Have fun on the nerd side of the city, lightweight!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home